30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, April 14, 2017

Playing Favorites

Do you have a favorite baseball card of your favorite player that is valued at less than $15?

If so, then you too can enter Peter's contest over on his blog:  Baseball Every Night.



1983 Topps #482

Most of you already know which direction I'll be heading in with my response.  Ever since I started this blog, I have made it loud and clear that Tony Gwynn is my favorite athlete of all-time.  I've also confessed my love on numerous occasions for the 1983 Topps baseball card design.


The price restriction isn't a concern either.  Had Peter asked us to write this post twenty-five years ago, I might have had a hard time finding Gwynn's 1983 Topps rookie card for under $15.  However these days you can easily find a nice copy for under $10 and if condition isn't an issue, I've seen these sell for under $5.



1983 O-Pee-Chee #143

Honestly... the only problem I'm having is deciding if I like his O-Pee-Chee rookie card better.  Both cards utilize the exact same photos and are almost identical in design.  I go back and forth between which card I like more.  The O-Pee-Chee features the brighter card stockbilingual text, and is rarer, but the Topps card is the one I'm familiar with from my childhood.


I've flip-flopped numerous times over the past five years and I'll probably continue to do so over the rest of my life.  But since Peter's contest entry requires one card.  Today, I'm going with:




Congratulations Peter on your 1 Year Anniversary and thank you for hosting this contest.  I'm really looking forward to reading all of the contest responses.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

Extra Innings


Two days after publishing this post, I realized that my 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn rookie card also covers my Day 4 submission to Tony's 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge.

2 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

Great choice, even if prices have dropped, you could argue that it's still held up well for something released in the 80's.

Peter K Steinberg said...

As I was reading the post I thought you were leaning towards the OPC card. They are both great choices. Thank you for submitting to the contest!